The Evesham and Redditch Railway Co. pioneered the line which ran from Evesham to Alcester, opened in 1866: the Alcester to Redditch line opened in 1868. This was taken over by the Midland Railway, later by the L.M.& S. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1962, freight in 1964. Alcester was provided with its own station (now a house) which acted as the Sub-Post Office.
ln 1876 the Alcester Railway opened, joining Alcester Station with the line at Bearley. This was later vested in the G.W.R. It closed in 1817, re-opened in 1923 and closed again in 1939.
The first mention to be found of the railway station being used as a Sub-Post Office is in 1896: Letters should have R,S.O. Warwickshire added'. Letters arrived at 5.27 a.m. (Kelly's Directory)
Station masters (Midland Railway ) were: SAMUEL PEPPER in 1896 & 1900, FREDERICK WATKINS in 1904 and 1908, JOHN TUFFLEY in 1916. Station masters (Great Western Railway) were EDWARD FOSTER in 1896, J.R.PYNE in 1900, O.J.POCOCK in 1904 and 1908 (Kelly's Directory) The sub-office had its own franks for mail posted at the station.
© John Donaldson 1988 - Alcester & District Local History Society
Postal History Index