|A 20||Abbey Cycle Works||SP 088571||Stood in Bleachfield Street on site now occupied by Dennison Equipment Ltd; opened c. 19O3 (report by former employee) ; built "Speedwell" cycles; production ceased c. 1925; powered by gas engine from early 1900s.|
See, also, Needle-section A 9 and Ragley Mill A11.
|Ar 93||Arrow||SP 080505||Coach and Wagon works. In Arrow village opposite Forge Cottage; single storey straggling buildings mostly wood with slate roof; large gates for wagons, etc; one typical archtop industrial window. This was George Clarks works; seems to have started as wheelwrights business (D 1900); coachbuilder in 1908 (D); likewise 1924 (D); became "motor engineer" 1932; eventually had showroom and premises in Alcester (Coulters Garage). Earlier wheel wrights in Arrow included Edward Griffiss (1874) , Henry Hemming (1880). Michael Griffiss was wheelwright and keeper of "Rose and Crown", Arrow, in 1850s (Census returns, l851).|
There was also a carriage works in Alcester which predated the Arrow works; this was the firm of Charles Cook, later to become Cook Brothers; they lived on High Street, with works at bottom of Malt Mill Lane (v. Needlemaking A 4). In 1861 Census Charles is "carriage builder" but 1841 and 51 he is "wheelwright"; the works ceased beginning of 20th century.
|Sal 206||Pitchill Works||SP 052516||Brick buildings and sheds to west of A 435 near Iron Cross; date unknown, probably c. 1900 when Bom ford and Evershed moved here from Atlas Works, Fershore; use by Bomford Brothers 1910 - 1967 and by Espley Tyas since; started as Benjamin Bomfords works as contractor for steam ploughing tackle which was maintained here; they made agricultural implements as well; Bom ford and Evershed moved to new works at Salford Priors, by railway, l910; Bomford Bros into liquidation 1967, now part of Bomford Group but Pitchill not used by the company; works described by L. T. C. Rolt "Landscape with Machines"; he was apprentice here in 1926.|