By the side of Kinwarton church is a field full of archaeological interest. Most people visit this area to view the National Trust l4th century dovecote, still in splendid order.
Nearby is the site of the manor house; but only the moat is now visible and of that, only two sides, which are still water-filled. A local farmer filled in the other sides some years ago. Nearer to the bottom of the field were the outlines of two mediaeval fish-ponds, fed by a small stream which started life as a spring and served the moat described above before continuing to the ponds. Today, this feature may not be seen, as the local farm has constructed a lake which covers it over completely. Old ordnance survey maps pinpoint the fish-ponds,,
At the foot of the field runs the River Alne. An old estate map names this field adjoining the river as 'Mill Meadow' There are no remains of the mill, mentioned in 1086 in Domesday Book.
However. the eye of faith can discern a hedge line and accompanying ditch which leaves the river and sweeps round to join it again: most likely the line of the mill leat, although its width is reduced now to the modest ditch. As no references have been found in mediaeval documents to this mill, one must assume that it disappeared a long time ago.
The manor-house site, the dovecote, the fish-ponds, the mill site and the church:- few other places have such a wealth of archaeological interest in such a small compass.
Winter 96 index