At first sight, Weethley seems to have little about it: its population is tiny and its chief landscape feature, the church is only of the 19th century. But one of the tenets of local history interest is that every place in England has an interesting and long history. Weethley is no exception.
Evesham Abbey held Weethley in 1086 at the Domesday Survey and had done so for 300 years. During the 13th and l4th centuries the families of d'Abitot and Musard held land here of the Abbey. In 1344 there was friction between the abbey and the Musards, the latter on one occasion raiding the parish, where they killed three of the Abbey servants and stole hundreds of sheep, horses and oxen.
After Henry VIIIs pillage of the monasteries the manor passed successively to the Lanes, Fortescues, Jennens and Curzons. In 1877 it had come into the possession of the Marquess of Hertford.
Although the present church was built in 1857/8, there had been an earlier one, made of timber. It had been a chapel attached to Kinwarton church but in the late 12th century the lord of Kinwarton gave it to Evesham abbey. However, later on, the Rector of Kinwarton paid for the services of a curate at Weethley; this ceased when the chapel was annexed to Arrow Rectory.
There are few houses but a farmhouse near the church is timber-framed of the 17th century.
Summer 1991 Index
© Alcester & District Local History Society 1991