Many local people will remember this tree, which stood on the right-hand side of the Alcester-Arrow road. 50 yards or so from the cottage with the water-wheel. it got its name from the shape its roots had grown into. The idea occurred to a number of people that the 'elephant' portion should be preserved. So, with the help of the Resident Engineer in charge of the by-pass construction, and fellow-Society member, Mr. John Stewart, the elephant section was erected by the new footbridge just across the by-pass from where the tree originally stood. A count of the growth rings in the trunk showed that the tree was about 190 years old, that is, planted around 1800.
Summer 1991 Index
© Alcester & District Local History Society 1991