A Toast in the WHITE LION at Radford Semele:
'May those that love us, love us. And those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts. And if He don't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we shall know 'em by their limping.'
A Local History
The Revd .F. .Wain, one-time Rector of Kinwarton and Great Alne, always had a great interest and love for Great Alne parish. It is very fitting, therefore, that it is he who has applied himself (in his retirement) to compiling a history of the village, or at least, some aspects of its life. As we all know, Fr. Wain always speaks and writes in a most interesting way and often with a submerged humour. When the history is published many of our readers will, we are sure be among the first to obtain a copy. We hope that in Autumn 'L.P.' we can give definite news of its publication.
Our issue for Spring 1991 was written too early to report the death of a committee member of A.D.L.H.S. -Alf Hickinbotham of Newport Drive, Alcester. He was a good committee man, for he was always ready to play his part in any joint ventures and he is sorely missed by the Society. The contribution which we made in lieu of flowers went towards the £500 given to the family's chosen charities.
When you visit the Alcester Street market on Sunday, the 9th June why not pay a visit to the ADLHS Treasure Map, traditionally situated outside the Midland bank? The theme for the market this year is 'Europe' though 1992 might have been more apposite. Our map is of Roman Europe circa A.D. 100 and there is the chance of winning some very nice prizes.
Record Offices throughout the country are a mandatory service, so we are unlikely to see the closure of the one at Warwick, in spite of the county cut-backs. How-ever, the Record Office there will not, in future, be open on Mondays.
The monthly parish magazine of STUDLEY CHURCH often contains local history items supplied by Mr. Arthur S. Daniels. This we view with great satisfaction, as we used also to do in the days of the Rev. Frank Wain at Haselor, Kinwarton and Great Alne, when such articles appeared in their magazine on a regular basis.
The proposed widening of the Alcester to Stratford road (or, as it is now, the continuation of the Alcester by-pass) will apparently destroy the Haselor crossroads toll-house. It may, indeed, be moved but no information has so far come our way.
The minute book of the Alcester Turnpike Trust states that the toll-house was brought from Tiddington in 1850 and set up on its present site when the toll-house at Hoo Mill Corner ceased business. As toll-houses are 'on their way out 'by 1850, the decision may be thought strange.
At the bottom of Red Hill stands Haselor Lodge Farm: a report has reached us that it, too, is in danger of destruction from the widening of the same road. it is a dignified building and its removal would be a pity. It stands so far from the present road that the idea appears remote at first sight. Let us hope that the report is unfounded.
Summer 1991 Index
© Alcester & District Local History Society 1991