ALCESTER LIBRARY has quite a lot of maps that perhaps people are unaware of. There are the 6" definitive footpath maps of our area (done in parishes) -- 27 in all, 25" maps of Alcester and many surrounding villages. As these are not kept on display, please ask if you wish to consult them. Available for loan are 0.S. Landranger maps (1" to mile) for most of the country, 0.5. outdoor leisure maps (2½in" to mile) for popular holiday areas and many town street maps. Also available are maps of other countries.
The local collection has quite a few biographies :-
- 'The Squire of Bentley' by her daughter, Maudie Ellis.
- Reminiscences of a Great Alne Octogenarian' by Mrs.E.Greig (ADLHS publication)
- 'Old Warwickshire Families and Houses' by John Burman
- 'The Worthies of Warwickshire' by F.L.Colville 'Daisy' by Daisy Greig (about the family which founded the Greig grocery chain and who built the Alcester Greig Hall)
- 'The Sheldons' by E.A.B.Barnard
- 'The Dillen' by Angela Hewins (written about a Stratfordian known as the Dillen) on which the R.S.C. based their play a few years ago. 'Mary after the Queen', also by the above. Angela Hewins is married to Brian, grandson of George Hewins, 'the Dillen'.
Spring 1991 Index
© Alcester & District Local History Society 1991