The Market Place is a cobbled area in the shape of a horse-shoe and is the largest of its kind in England. It originally formed the outer bailey of the castle.
In 1771 Matthew and Mark Topham were paid sixpence a yard to find stones and re-cobble the area.
Frenchgate, so named because of the non-military French who lived there following the building of the Castle can be found at the bottom corner of the market square (on the opposite side to the Castle). The street used to be named Great Channel after the open sewer that ran down it until the 1700's (phew!).
Looking up the Channel to the Market Square. To the immediate left is Swale house
Swale House is located a short distance from the Square.
Once the home of James Tate, Head Master of Ricmond School it was also the lodgings for a young pupil named Lewis Carroll.
In the World War II the house became a home for wounded officers.
Return to Home Page