(Click image for an alternative view)
The folly, known as Culloden Tower was built in 1746 to mark the Duke of Cumberland's defeat of Bonny Prince Charlie.
The Bar is a small postern gate located in part of the wall that protected the town from various enemies including the Scots. The gate was used by people and pack horses on their way from the "Green" an industrial suburb that made use of water from the river Swale. A tannery, dyeworks, fulling mill, brewery and corn mill were located there. The Green leads in turn to one of Richmond's two stone bridges crossing the river Swale.
Return to Home Page